Family Support Center
Martha’s Vineyard Community Services Family Support Center (FSC) believes that all families are unique; have different capabilities; need flexibility to meet needs; should have the lead role in determining what support they need; and have needs that change through the life cycle.
The main goals of the FSC are to enhance families’ capacities and to keep families together. With more than 20 years experience in working with families, the FSC staff is involved in a variety of initiatives locally and statewide that benefit and support families, and has extensive experience in accessing resources and making referrals.
- Information and referral to a variety of community, local, regional and state-wide resources (e.g. medical, legal, educational, etc.)
- Individualized planning with each family to determine what supports and
services would best serve the family.
- Technical assistance for applying for entitlements and filling out applications such as MassHealth, SSI, fuel assistance, etc.
- Home visits or consultation to provide support and information to a family who has a family member with a disability.
- Partner with other community agencies to provide training and parent/ family networking opportunities.
- Provide transportation to medical visits off Island.
- Seminars, trainings, workshops.
- ‘Whatever it takes’ to support families.
Families who have a family member(s) with a developmental disability living at home and who are determined to be eligible for supports provided through the Department of Developmental Services program may receive services through the Family Support Program.
Cape Cod & Islands Developmental Disability Information & Referral Services
There are a number of supports and services available to families and individuals with developmental disabilities who life on Cape Cod or the Islands.
The Family Support Program is funded through a contract with the Department of Developmental Disabilities.
For more information:
Kathi Hackett, Family Support Services Coordinator, 508-693-7900 x249.
Allyson Syslo, Family Support Specialist, 508-693-7900 x206
Cara Nielsen, Family Support Specialist for Nantucket
Additional information also available through The Department of Developmental Services Cape Cod & Islands Area Office For more information call: 508-771-2595