Head Start is a national program that promotes school readiness by enhancing the social and cognitive development of children through the provision of education, health, nutrition and social services to children and their families.
The Head Start program on Martha’s Vineyard is a home-based, locally designed program. In a regularly scheduled home visit, you and your Home Visitor will explore ways to provide experiences for your child that will improve his/her readiness for school.There is no fee for this program. Eligibility is based on income or special need.
Head Start supports the entire family by providing:
- Weekly home visits with individualized curriculum
- Parent/child socializations in various Island locations
- Parent education group with on-site childcare for siblings
- Parent involvement and leadership opportunities
- Health and developmental screenings
- Parent activities
- Family activities
- Kindergarten transition supports
- Referrals supports for any family member
Cindy Flanders, Head Start Education Family Services Coordinator