Children and Families Affected by Trauma and Grief
Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TF-CBT) Program is an effective treatment program that has proven successful with many children, adolescents and families who have experienced trauma and grief.
The therapy consists of individual sessions with children and parallel sessions with their caregiver(s).
The parent/caregiver interventions occur in the same order as the child interventions, preparing the caregiver to reinforce material with the child between sessions. Joint caregiver-child sessions take place in the later stages of therapy.
TF-CBT encourages effective parent-child communication; helps parents learn to cope with their own distress and respond effectively to their children’s behavioral difficulties. With the support of the family, the program helps children to:
- Overcome problematic thoughts, feelings, and behaviors,
- Develop effective coping and body safety skills,
- Reduce emotional and behavioral reactions,
- Emotionally and cognitively process their traumatic experiences,
- Therapeutically process traumatic memories,
- Adjust to placement when needed,
- Reduce the risk of future victimization, and
- Learn about family violence, child sexual abuse and healthy sexuality, as appropriate