Island Intervention Center
Martha’s Vineyard Community Services Island Intervention Center is committed to enhancing the outreach and urgent care services and community-level suicide prevention, education and postvention activities that are available on Martha’s Vineyard.
The Island Intervention Center provides a triage system for urgent care, brief interventions, assessments, and immediate access to appropriate services for both mental health and substance use disorders.
The Island Intervention Center is an intermediate step for people who need a higher level of care, but may not need hospitalization. The goal of the Island Intervention Center is to decrease the number and percentage of individuals hospitalized each year by taking a proactive treatment approach. The Island Intervention Center is made up of:
Our Emergency Services team is comprised of caring trained professionals whom provide comprehensive and organized treatment of emergency care in times of psychiatric crisis.
In case of a mental health emergency, our Emergency Services team can be accessed 24 hours a day through our answering service at 508-693-0032.
Our Emergency Services team provides the following services:
- Mobile Crisis Intervention (MCI)
- Emergency Psychiatric evaluations
- Urgent care brief counseling sessions
- Suicide Risk Assessments
- Homicidal Risk Assessments
- Clinical Debriefing and Consultation
- Coordination of inpatient admissions and transportation
- Outreach Services
- Psychiatric phone access for consumers in crisis
- Links to other community resources
- Intake referrals for services through Island Counseling Center
After receiving the call our clinicians will determine the most appropriate location for services to take place. Historically services have been rendered at the Martha’s Vineyard Hospital, Community Corrections, Dukes County House of Corrections, the Martha’s Vineyard Public Schools, or the Island Counseling Center.
Utilizing Emergency Services has been a highly used resource in the community. Our affiliates and consumers deserve the security of knowing that mental health help is always available.
Crisis range from moderate to severe and all deserve the same attention and sensitive approach. Most mental health crisis should not be handled exclusively without a trained professional. Agencies, businesses, community members and other non-profit organizations can use Emergency Services free of charge.
Immediate community based urgent care for mental health and substance use disorders including:
- Short-term observation of individuals in need of Emergency Services Programs.
- Assessment of critical needs in regard to mental health and substance use.
- Brief intervention including short-term team counseling, peer support, crisis planning and safety planning for those at risk of suicide.
- Referral, support and care coordination through care transitions.
- Safe transportation of individuals in need of Emergency Services program, inpatient services, or substance use disorder treatment.
Island Intervention Center Hours*
Monday through Friday
*In case of a mental health emergency our Emergency Services team can be accessed 24 hours a day through our answering service at 508-693-0032.
David Araujo, Director
Funding for the Island Intervention Center is provided by Boston Medical Center, the Department of Mental Health, Martha’s Vineyard Community Services fundraising, Medicare, Medicaid and private insurance.